Friday, January 3, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things

Time for a confession. I have an addiction to nice things. Whether it's purses, boots, sunglasses or wine, I'll be the first to admit, I'm a snob. This wouldn't be a problem if I was still gainfully employed, living on a dual income with no kids. But alas, that is not the case.

We went from two decent incomes, traveling when we wanted, buying purses and sunglasses at Louis Vuitton, down to one income and two kids. I hope you aren't reading this thinking that I'm complaining about my kids because that is most definitely not the case. I would give up everything I have for those two beautiful babies.  I just thought you all would like to see a different side of me so I thought I would share some of my favorite things with you along with things I long to see happen in our lives to raise our children in the best way possible.


Wine, yes I love wine, but only good wine.  I grew up in the Napa Valley and couldn't stand this delicious beverage given to us by the unassuming little grape until I started working at two high end restaurants in Napa.  Then that all changed.  While my husband will most likely drink any bottle you bring over to our house, I'm sorry to say I will not. I've been very spoiled when it comes to the world of Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel.  My mom has worked in the industry for most of my life and my dad is a personal trainer to owners of some of the best wineries in the valley. 


This is one of my very favorites. A Caymus Vineyards Cab. 
Bold and big bodied, just like me!


My favorite place for accessories.  The name says it all.
Sure it means I have a purse that only comes out when the sun is shining
And I sport it with jeans and a hoodie, but hey, it's who I am.


My favorite vacation moment. 
We have been fortunate to travel to some gorgeous places. 
We have watched the sun rise over white sandy beaches in Aruba.
We have held a sloth and purchased emeralds in Colombia.
And we have drank the most amazing coffee in Guatemala
But my favorite memory came during this trip to Mexico. 
We had just traversed through the Sierra Madre mountains 
on a series of 12 zip lines and rappelled down a water fall 
to land in this beautiful spot.


After reading all that about me, if you don't know me, 
You'll probably be surprised to learn that one of my favorite hobbies is hunting. 
Yup, you read right, 
I'm a Louis Vuitton carrying, shotgun & rifle slinging country girl. 


I've been known to wear pricey sunglasses out deer hunting.
I've been on the receiving end of funny looks from old men when I let my
English Setter, Bandit, out of the back seat of a bright red Saab
(Which has since been traded in for the soccer mom SUV)
To hunt pheasants and chukar.
And I love turkey hunting a heck of a lot more than I like to shop.


Then there is my two favorite little humans on the planet. 
Seriously, they couldn't be more beautiful!


I want to raise these two with good old fashion values.
I want them to know there is so much more to life 
than the new video game or iPhone.
I want them to play outside until the street lights come on. 
Actually, that's a lie. 
I want them to grow up on a huge piece of property where there are no street lights.
I want them to know that hard work pays off.



I want them to grow up on a property that has this for a view. 
I want to give them the best life we possibly can. 
I know that means bringing them up with values.
It doesn't come from having the fancy purse or sunglasses. 
It comes from quality family bonding, proper guidance 
and respect for one another. 


So there you have it, some of my favorite things. 
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment