Saturday, January 18, 2014

It's Not A Cake Walk

Anyone that thinks being a "Stay At Home Mom" is easy, I have news for you, you are wrong.  Anyone that thinks being a mom to twins is a cake walk, you are so sadly mistaken.  Being a SAHM is messy.  It's exhausting. It's days that start before the sun is up with screaming babies, dirty dishes, mountains of laundry and longing for a 20 minute shower or 15 more minutes of sleep.

Yesterday was one of those days that I wished I could have gone back to bed and started the day over again.  Between an overly fussy baby girl, which is very rare, and an overly active baby boy, I felt like a rubber band that had been stretched as far as it could stretch without snapping. You know that feeling when you are wrapping a rubber band around something and it snaps and stings your hand? Yup, that sums up how I was feeling.  I try so hard to be the ideal mom and a terrific wife.  I beat myself up when the dishes get left in the sink over night.  I cringe when I see two days of laundry accumulating in front of the washer. With that being said, my living room floor is constantly covered in toys, blankets, spit up and empty baby bottles. Everyone tells me that I need to give myself a break and not be so hard on myself, but I can't help to want to get everything done every day.  Reality of it is, with two teething babies, one starting to crawl and one wanting to walk (hence the "perma-bruise on his forehead), I can't do it all. I am incredibly lucky to have a husband that is an outstanding dad. He gets up in the middle of the night to make bottles, he changes diapers and he helps with the cooking and cleaning on his days off, but for some reason I feel like we are never caught up.


I've come to terms with the fact that this is life and I need to just roll with the punches.  There are going to be good days and there are going to be days that are absolute crap, that's life.  If you are a mom, whether a SAHM or a working mom (huge props to you), I'm sure you can relate.  I know I'm not alone on this wild crazy ride of mommy-hood.  When I found out we were having twins, I thought "shoot, I've got this".  Who was I kidding? Having twins is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done, but it also the most rewarding. Hearing them try to say mama, their huge piercing blue eyes and smiles that will light up the darkest of rooms, all incredible moments that nobody can ever take away from me.  As for the bad days, I'm trying to just chalk them up to Gods little tests for me.


When I start to question myself and whether or not I was cut out for this job, I look at pictures like these and I know that while I may not be a perfect mom, I'm perfect to them and that's all that really matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment